Thursday 8 November 2012

Cables fitted, derailleur & brakes set up

I haven't previously done any bicycle cabling from scratch, but this first attempt has gone almost without a hitch.

The shifter cable came from two sources - the inner came with the shifter, the outer from MK Cycles, a local bike shop. I didn't attempt to cut the outer myself, instead I bought two separate lengths, each slightly longer than I would need (for shifter to downtube adjuster barrel, and chainstay cable stop to derailleur) from the bike shop, offered them up to the bike, marked them for cutting, and then returned them to the shop to be trimmed with their (rather expensive looking) special cutter.

Setting up the derailleur was straight forward, it's working perfectly, and is all set to be fine-tuned on a test ride to get it absolutely spot-on under load.

The brake cables came with the Tiagra levers, which I chose because they are highest group Shimano flat bar levers, and can be used with caliper brakes (they can be set up either for V-brakes, or for caliper or cantilever or roller brakes) and the diagonal cutters on my pliers proved up to the job of neatly pruning them to length.

There was a problem however with the supplied ferrules - they fit perfectly into the adjuster barrels on the levers, and into the cable stops on the frame, but their external diameter is very slightly larger than the internal diameter of the adjuster barrels on the Tiagra calipers. Not sure what's gone wrong there - I assumed that the cables Shimano supplied with BL-4600 Tiagra levers would be compatible with BR-4600 Tiagra calipers! So for now I've left those two ferrules out, and I'll get an opinion (and, I suspect, a couple of different ferrules) from the bike shop next time I'm passing.

No problems adjusting the brakes. I still need to cut the inner cables to length, resolve the ferrule problem, get a shorter mounting bolt for the rear caliper, and I should probably replace the used brake shoes with something that will be as kind as possible to my Ultegra rims, but none of those things is stopping the bike from being ridden.

No comments:

Post a Comment